Thursday, October 3, 2013

Smitten by Rearz Fitted Cloth Diaper [Review]

This is the first time I am writing about cloth diapers. I am very excited! I read about and researched cloth diapers for quite some time before I began using them. My cloth stash includes a variety of types, closures, fits, colors, etc. I do not have a strong preference to the types of diapers or closure, as long as they fit well and absorb well. Rearz Smitten fitted cloth diaper offers an absorbent, quick drying fitted cloth diaper with soft velour and a tongue design.

Rearz Smitted Fitted Cloth Diaper        (5 pack, $69.99)
Rating: total green check marks out of 5.

The Good
The Not So Good
Colored with certified organic dyes
Requires cover
100% cotton (unbleached inside)
Velcro is stiff
Tongue design for faster drying

Cross over snaps



Since the focus of my blog is about natural and green living, I would like to focus first on the environmental impact of the Rearz Smitten fitted cloth diaper. I love that the fitted diaper is made from 100% cotton, outside colored with certified organic dyes and inside made from unbleached cotton. The type of fabric and whether it is made from organic, conventional, or synthetic fabric is very important to me. Babies have such sensitive skin! The organic dyes are very bright and have not faded with several prep washes and uses. I received the red color and also have a Rearz Smitten in brown. The colors are so rich that I cannot believe the fabric is dyed with organic dyes.

Fitted cloth diapers do require waterproof covers, but you can also go without if you can remember to frequently check for wetness. I kept the cover off one day to see how absorbent the Rearz Smitten was. After one pee, the wetness was noticeable on the outside to the point where it would have gotten the onesie wet. I did not use any additional inserts. If you prefer to go coverless, I recommend adding a few inserts into the pocket opening to boost absorbency. I have only used Rearz Smitten fitted during the daytime only since we do not cloth diaper at night. An absorbent insert would add enough materials for night time wear.

Rearz Smitten fitted cloth diaper is offered with snaps or with velcro. I received the Rearz Smitten with snaps. My existing Rearz has velcro. In general, I do not have a strong preference of snaps versus velcro, but I did notice that the Rearz Smitten velcro is stiff. If you add a cover with more velcro, it might be a little too much. I recommend going with the snaps. The snaps were easy to use and allowed me to get a good fit. I like the cross over snaps that allow for a better fit with newborns or lean babies. My son is a little on the leaner and longer side. The leg opening just barely fit tight around his legs, but if I am careful on how I secure the diaper, the diaper does not leak.

Overall, I have enjoyed using the Rearz Smitten fitted cloth diaper with snaps. Only today, I realized that the tongue does NOT go inside of the opening. And all of this time, I was frustrated that the tongue was so hard to stuff inside the smaller opening. Tongue goes on the outside, additional inserts go on the inside. The unbleached cotton, organic dyes, and tongue design make the Rearz Smitten fitted cloth diaper a great addition to your cloth stash.

Disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...